WordNetCE is a high quality, free dictionary and thesaurus for the Pocket PC platform.
Developer: Troy Simpson
Latest version: 2.7
Total versions: 1
Submitted: 18 Jan 2015
Updated: 18 Jan 2015
The aim of WordNetCE is to be a high quality, free dictionary/thesaurus for the Pocket PC platform. To date there is nothing out there that's both free and high quality.
WordNetCE 2.7 is based upon the WordNet database. WordNet is an online lexical reference system whose design is inspired by current psycholinguistic theories of human lexical memory. English nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are organized into synonym sets, each representing one underlying lexical concept. Different relations link the synonym sets.
The features that set WordNetCE apart, even from many commercial dictionary/thesaurus's are:
- It's FREE! Price is always a factor when making a product choice ;).
- It works. The frustrating thing about some software is that you have a certain expectation level, but within the first few hours of use you find it falls short, and you feel that you've wasted time and effort on something that will never do the job. Well you won't be disappointed with WordNetCE; with an ever-growing list of advanced features, your experience with this software is going to start off great and just get better.
- It's easy to use. Having a lot of features is always nice, but sometimes a software interface can be overwhelming. WordNetCE uses the same basic design as the original WordNet 2.1 which I always enjoyed using for its simplicity. More advanced features are behind the scenes, and not accessing them does not lessen your experience with WordNetCE. Don't ignore the 'Advanced Search' section though because that's where some real power searching can be found.
- Powerful search features. Advanced search features equal or surpass most available electronic dictionary/thesaurus's. WordNetCE has search capabilities for: wildcard, regular expression, anagram, scrabble, sounds like. With that arsenal you can search words in an almost infinite number of ways. You can even use the anagram feature to create your own puzzles, by taking a word and finding all anagrams of it. WordNetCE also contains all of the relations searching you will find in WordNet, in the same convenient way. Noun, Verb, Adjective and Adverb buttons along the top of a screen let you take an overview search further by branching into synonyms, meronyms, and a lot of other relation matching searches.
- British/US spelling. You can search with either spelling and it will give you both. This is a feature most available electronic dictionaries are missing.
- VGA compatible. WordNetCE provides a number of in-built features which makes working with VGA screens a breeze. The software will automatically adjust its size for landscape layout, and font size selection means you'll never be squinting to read results.
- Large, modern word list. WordNet is quite a massive project that is still evolving with more words and more relations. At present there are 144,309 unique words in WordNet. A great many modern terms can be found too. One way to judge a dictionary is to challenge it with words such as 'spam' and see if you get reference to email.
- Formatted, colour-coded results. Search results are easy to read with the colour-coding. Synonyms, the definition and quoted sample sentences are each color-coded to allow quick reference to whichever search results component you are looking for.
- Hyper linked results. All searchable words are hyper linked so that you can quickly branch off to retrieve a new word overview simply by clicking on the hyper linked word.
WordNetCE 2.7 seem to be the latest available version. Below you can find file(s) assigned to this version:
- WordNetCE_2.7.exe (5 MB, ↓ 0)
Description/changelog of WordNetCE 2.7:
Download (for PC): WordNetCE_2.7.exe